Ready in under 30 minutes, dinner doesn’t get any easier than this easy veggie packed gluten free pasta!
Easy Veggie Packed Gluten Free Pasta
Today we have a special post- from my Mom! She is always calling me with recipe ideas from the blog, so I decided it was time for a guest post. This easy veggie packed gluten free pasta is one of her favorite pasta recipes, she is always talking about it. The recipe is entirely hers, I did take the photos and test it out. I’m not a huge mushroom fan, but my husband gave it two thumbs up. Plus, it was so easy! Enjoy her post and this great recipe.
Cooking with Friends (Guest Post)
I have a friend who visits from Holland every year. We both love to cook! After perusing the refrigerator, and developing our own version of “Chopped,” we came up with a mystery basket- spinach, mushrooms, meatballs, and pasta- plus a few pantry ingredients. Luckily it all worked well together, we decided to go with an Italian theme and the fun started!
My friend likes to chop veggies and is more precise than I am. (My motto is “close enough.”) So he began to chop the onions, garlic, and mushrooms while I started the pasta and heating up the meatballs. We switched off cooking and chopping a bit, and when things were just about ready, he started making bruschetta (we will save that recipe for another time!).
This is our favorite pasta dish. Now back in Holland, he still makes it and sent me some of the pictures. It is quick (believe it or not), easy, nutritious and delicious. So…grab a friend and start cooking. Two cooks are more fun than one!
A few notes:
- This is a very versatile recipe, if you have an aversion or allergy to a vegetable, just leave it out or substitute with another!
- To save time, buy the pre-sliced mushrooms. They are already cleaned.
- After much discussion, we decided that if you hate mushrooms, try using yellow squash or red bell pepper. The flavor won’t be the same, but they are great substitutions for nutrition and color.
- If you are trying to avoid carbs or aren’t a fan of gluten free pasta, try it with veggie zoodles!
- There are several brands that make pre-made gluten free meatballs, you can also make your own and freeze them so they are ready whenever you need them!
Final Thoughts from Me
My mom calls this “Two Friends Pasta with Veggies”, but honestly it will feed 4! Enjoy this easy veggie packed gluten free pasta recipe! It took me less than 30 minutes to prepare (which is always a win!). If you are looking for other easy pasta style recipes check out Zoodles with Lemon Pepper Vinaigrette or Easy Gluten Free Spaghetti and Meatballs with my pantry spaghetti sauce!
Happy Gluten Free Eating!
Easy Veggie Packed Gluten Free Pasta
- 8-12 oz gluten free spaghetti or other small pasta
- ¾ - 1 lb small tomatoes quartered
- 12 oz mushrooms sliced
- 3 small onions chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic smashed and chopped
- 1 bag of baby spinach
- 4 green onions sliced
- Salt pepper to taste.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian herb blend
- Olive oil for sauteing and tossing with pasta
- Small gluten free precooked meatballs 3-5 per serving, omit for vegan option
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. When cooked to your preference of doneness, drain (reserve ½ cup water), toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm.
- Heat pre-cooked meatballs.
- Add tablespoon of olive oil to pan.
- Sauté the onions and smashed garlic until softens a bit.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Season with salt, and pepper.
- Cook stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes until mushrooms are begin releasing liquid.
- Add quartered tomatoes and Italian herbs.
- When the tomatoes get soft and release their juices, mash with a spoon. (Add some pasta water if there isn’t enough liquid.)
- Adjust seasonings.
- Add meatballs, if using.
- Add spinach and stir. Let the spinach slightly wilt. The veggies shouldn’t be dry, but not drowning in liquid.
- Top with the green onions.
- Put a serving of pasta in bowl, top with desired amount of veggies and meatballs.