These gluten free air fryer mozzarella sticks are what you have been missing. Ooey-gooey, crunchy, cheesy goodness without the oily mess.
This post may contain affiliate links, affiliate link support Eat at Our Table at no cost to you.
Mozzarella Sticks- The Unending Craving
I still remember the last thing I ate before I went gluten free for the rest of my life. It was a plate of fried mozzarella sticks. They are my dream food. Melted cheese, crunchy bread crumbs, dipped in marinara is the best thing ever.
I made a gluten free baked version of mozzarella sticks (it’s HERE!), but recently I got an air fryer. I know the past few years everyone has been all about the Instant Pot and they are great, but I am in LOVE with my air fryer.
Air Fryers are the best invention ever. We use it literally every day for everything from broccoli to chicken legs. It’s the best. (You can even do Air Fryer Asparagus like THIS ONE from Vegetarian Mama or an Air Fryer Ham like this one from Food Doodles!)
5 Steps to Perfect Gluten Free Mozzarella Sticks
There is a technique for building the perfect breading. 5 steps. It may be tempting to skip a few, but you need all the coatings to ensure that your cheese doesn’t leak out all over the place and to give you that crunchy coating that is typical of a mozzarella stick.
In order to get that crispy coating start with gluten free flour, egg, more flour, more egg, and gluten free bread crumbs. I prefer to use a fine bread crumb, such as Schar. If your bread crumbs are coarse you may want to run them through the food processor.
I season my bread crumbs myself, but you can also use pre-seasoned if that is easier for you.
Gluten Free Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
These babies are crave-able. Especially when served with homemade marinara sauce. The great thing about them is that you can make them and freeze a big batch for whenever the craving hits.
I use a Go Wise air fryer. I did a lot of research and while it’s not top of the line, it was as top of the line I could afford. So far so good. It’s working great and we use it every day.
The great thing about this is that you get all the crispy goodness, without the oil so they are a bit healthier.
Why did my cheese melt out?
Some cheese will melt out, as is the nature of mozzarella sticks, but of course you don’t want all of it to melt out. Try this:
- Make sure you have frozen the cheesesticks before beginning the breading process and then again after they are breaded.
- Try lowering the temperature of your air fryer. Different air fryers can vary a bit in temperature.
- Cook for a minute less.
- Double check that you are making sure that the coating is all around the cheese so there are no holes.
- Use fine bread crumbs. If they are a bit coarse, run them through the food processor.
You are going to love these! Be sure to make some of my 5 minute marinara to go along with them!
Another great air fryer recipe is this Air Fryer Baked Potato from Vegetarian Mama, so good! If you are trying to figure out which air fryer recipe is best for you check out Vegetarian Mama’s guide to the best air fryer’s on the market!
Do you have an air fryer? If so, what is your favorite thing to make?
Happy gluten free eating!
Gluten Free Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- 6 mozzarella cheese sticks cut in half
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup super fine gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- marinara sauce for dipping
- Cut Mozzarella sticks in half and freeze for at least 30 minutes
- Set up breading station with bowl for beaten egg, gluten free flour, and breadcrumb mixture (gluten free bread crumbs, salt, garlic powder and Italian Seasonings)
- Dip mozzarella sticks in flour, egg, flour, egg and then bread crumb mixture.
- Freeze breaded mozzarella sticks for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook in air fryer at 370 degrees for 6 minutes, turning once.