Gluten Free BBQ Chicken Calzones- Cheese, BBQ Chicken,cilantro, and red onion stuffed in a crisp, easy to make gluten free crust.
This post is sponsored by David’s Unforgettable Sauces. All opinions are my own.
I am addicted to pizza. I like a thin crispy crust with tons of cheese and toppings. Honestly, I really just want the toppings. The crust is just a way to get all the rest of goodness to my mouth.BBQ Chicken Calzones are hand-held pizza perfection! Crispy, cheesy and fully of BBQ Chicken!Click To Tweet
When I first was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I was desperate to find gluten free pizza. We have a California Pizza Kitchen near us and I was thrilled to discover they made gluten free pizza in a controlled environment. They make a gluten free BBQ Chicken Pizza that is pretty good. Unfortunately for them, these Gluten Free BBQ Chicken Calzones are better, so I know longer have a reason to go there!
David’s Unforgettable Sauces
I recently discovered David’s Unforgettable Sauces. They are phenomenal balsamic based dressings, marinades, and bbq sauces. You can read my complete review here. I have tried all of his sauces and while it is hard to pick a favorite, the Spicy BBQ is definitely up there.
I have been experimenting with calzones lately, I just love the idea of a crispy outer shell filled with cheesy goodness. The first time my husband tried David’s Unforgettable Spicy BBQ Sauce he looked at me and said,
You must make a Gluten Free BBQ Chicken Calzone.
Easy Gluten Free BBQ Chicken Calzones
When the hubby request Gluten Free BBQ Chicken Calzones, I make BBQ Chicken Calzones. It took a few tries to get the crust right, but it is perfect. Thin and crispy, just right for filling with cheesy bbq chicken goodness. The crust also holds up well to being eaten like a sandwich.
As always, I have a few recipe notes to help make the recipe simple!
I use cottage cheese that I run through the food processor because my husband hates ricotta. To make it easy for myself, I put the cottage cheese, egg, half the cheddar, and cilantro all in the food processor. It is a quick way to blend up the filling.
The BBQ Chicken
In order to give it the BBQ Chicken pizza feel, I sauteed some red onions before adding the chicken and bbq sauce.
Gluten Free Pizza Crust can be a bit tricky, but I swear this is super simple. Two Words: Food Processor. This recipe is ridiculously easy and very versatile.
I highly suggest getting a good gluten free flour. GF Jules is my favorite. I also recently discovered “Pizza dough yeast” Fleischmann’s makes yeast packets specially formulated for pizza and it works great!.
Be sure to visit David’s Unforgettable website and check out all the amazing sauces!
Happy Gluten Free Eating!
BBQ Pizza Calzones
Gluten Free Pizza Dough
- 2 1/2- 3 cups gluten free flour with xanthum gum
- 1 package active pizza yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 - 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup bbq sauce
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 4 ounces sliced montery jack cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 cup cheddar cheese divided
- 1 egg beaten
Gluten Free Pizza Dough
- Combine flour, yeast, salt, and sugar in the food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Add olive oil, pulse till combined.
- Slowly add water until ball is formed.
- Divide into four portions.
- Roll out into 4 circles
- Place cottage cheese, 1/2 cheddar cheese, salt, cilantro and egg in food processor. Pulse until well combined.
- Saute red onion in a bit of oil, add shredded chicken and bbq sauce.
Put it all together
- Divide the sliced monterrey jack cheese on each circle of dough.
- Divide the cottage cheese mixture on top of the monterrey jack cheese.
- Divide the BBQ chicken mixture on top of the cottage cheese.
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Smear beaten egg around the edges of dough.
- Carefully pull over and press together edges of dough to form a pocket. Use a fork to press edges together.
- Brush remaining egg on top, sprinkle with grated parmesan if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.