Individual gluten free mango bread puddings, sweetened with honey, are the perfect brunch dish.
This post is part of a collaboration between My Gluten Free Miami and Schar. All opinions are my own.
I love all things mango. They are one of my favorite fruits. I love them in both sweet and savory dishes. Lucky for me, mangoes are plentiful in South Florida. During the summer I get them by the bucket full from my Dad, then cut and freeze them for use during the year.
Generally, I can often find fresh mangoes in the store as well, but nothing beats a mango just of the tree!
I love incorporating them into dishes, so when I started to make this bread pudding, I thought why not add a bit of South Florida flavor!
Individual Gluten Free Mango Bread Pudding
I love individual desserts. They are great for helping with portion control and look so pretty.
Perfect for serving at a brunch, especially since this recipe is so easy to make! I even used honey instead of white sugar to sweeten it. It gives it that perfect balance.
Plus, honey pairs beautifully with mangos.
Schar Ciabatta Bread
I used Schar Ciabatta bread to create this gluten free mango bread pudding. Schar is already one of my favorite bread brands, and the ciabatta is amazing. I love using it for sandwiches and garlic bread.
It was perfect for this bread pudding. I cut each piece up and then toasted it in the oven for about 5 minutes to pull any moisture out of it before tossing it with the egg/milk mixture. Alternatively, you could leave it sitting out a long time, but I felt like the over method was much faster.
Gluten free bread can have a tendency to be soggy, but the Schar Ciabatta held up beautifully.
Quick and Easy
This recipe is really simple to make. Sometimes bread pudding is served with a caramel-like sauce. I chose not to make a sauce to go on top, but if you prefer a sauce, it isn’t hard to make one! You could use a recipe like the one from Mi Gluten Free Gal in her Gluten Free Donut Bread Pudding or simply use the leftover sauce from cooking down the mangoes and add a bit more honey and butter. Totally up to you.
I took the easy path and added some ice cream!
This gluten free mango bread pudding is going to be perfect for Spring and Summer brunches (or winter if you’re feeling a little longing for the tropics!). It has the perfect sweet balance.
Looking for something to add a little special to your bread pudding- try these Easy Candied Lemon Slices from Running to the Kitchen.
I’m sure you will enjoy it as much as I did.
Have you ever tried a bread pudding with fruit in it before? Let me know in the comments.
Happy Gluten Free Eating!
Gluten Free Mango Bread Pudding
- 4 pieces gluten free ciabatta bread
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup diced mango
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Chop ciabatta bread into cubes. Place on baking sheet.
- Toast in 400 degree oven for 5 minutes.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons butter and 2 Tablespoons honey in a small sauce pan.
- Add mango and cook over medium low heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove mango with a slotted spoon and reserve juices for later use.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, 1/2 cup honey, and vanilla.
- Add bread and mango. Toss gently to combine.
- Divide between 4 ramekins, pouring any remain milk mixture over them.
- Place ramekins in a 9 x 9 baking dish.
- Carefully add water to halfway up ramekins.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Carefully remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Serve with reserved mango juices or ice cream.