Perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner, this gluten free Monte Cristo is going to become your favorite. This ham and cheese masterpiece takes all the best of a grilled cheese sandwich and french toast to combine into one amazing bite!
This post is sponsored by Three Bakers. All opinions are my own.
Gluten Free Monte Cristo
This classic sandwich is probably my new favorite. Who doesn’t love a ham and cheese dipped in egg batter and fried in butter. It’s like taking the best lunch has to offer and combing it with breakfast. You just can’t go wrong.
Three Bakers NEW Large Slice Loafs
Yes, you read that correctly. Large slice loafs. That means your cheese will actually fit on the bread. Three Bakers just came out with two varieties in their gluten free large slice loafs. Classic White and Golden Flax. For the gluten free Monte Cristo, I used the Golden Flax and it was amazing!
This gluten free Monte Cristo is so easy to make! We have been making them left and right, trying out different cheeses and types of ham.
Only a few quick notes to go along with this gluten free sandwich.
- Use two slices of cheese. One just isn’t enough. I actually used Havarti because it’s our favorite for sandwiches, but swiss, gouda, gruyere- it’s dealer’s choice!
- Thick sliced ham. This is not the time to break out those thin deli lunchmeat slices. This sandwich is a great way to use up leftover ham.
- Add the mayo and the mustard. I was hesitant. I’m not a big yellow mustard fan, but it was perfect. Something about the yellow mustard and the powdered sugar. Match made in heaven.
- The bread soaks up the egg quickly. Be careful to not let it soak to long or it will fall apart.
Once you try this gluten free Monte Cristo, you may never go back to a plain ham and cheese again!
Love Sandwiches? Try these:
- Gluten Free Mexican Breakfast Sandwich
- Steak Sandwich with Jalapeno Cilantro Aioli
- Gluten Free and Dairy Free BLT from Allergy Awesomeness
Be sure to check out the Three Bakers website for locations where their new Large Slice loaves are available!
Gluten Free Monte Cristo
- 4 slices gluten free bread
- 4 thick slices ham
- 4 slices cheese of choice I suggest Havarti or Swiss
- 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- Spread mayonnaise and mustard on bread.
- Layer cheese and ham.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, and cinnamon.
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Dip sandwiches in egg mixture.
- Fry in butter for about 3 minutes per side or until golden.