This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #UnforgettableRice #CollectiveBias
Deliciously easy Gluten Free Paella Mixta with chicken, shrimp and chorizo cooked in a saffron infused Arborio rice.
Gluten Free Paella Mixta
A few weeks ago my daughter’s school hosted an open house dinner. They had caterers there with huge (like as big as my child) size pans of Paella and it looked and smelled so good, but I didn’t eat a bite.
Why? Because even though the ingredients should be naturally gluten free, there was no way for me to know for sure and I couldn’t risk it. When the opportunity came to make it at home myself, I couldn’t wait!
Easy to Make Weeknight Meal
Paella is one of those dishes that seems complicated but is actually very easy to make. By using flavorful ingredients you get a delicious one pan meal that tastes like it took all day.
Most people think of Arborio rice when making risotto, but it works so well in this dish, as it soaks up all the flavors and cooks up beautifully.
The trick to a great Paella is to use the ingredients to elevate the rice. Arborio rice is the perfect base to really play with flavors and create a meal that others will rave about!
Rice is the star of the dish. Because Rice Select’s Arborio rice is free from anything artificial and is non-GMO (plus it comes in a clear, BPA-free canister), it is the perfect base.
RiceSelect’s Arborio rice is easily available at Walmart (as are all the ingredients in this dish!) and, while supplies last, there is a great Ibotta coupon for a $1.00 on 1 RiceSelect product.
Gluten Free Paella Basics
If you scour the web, you will find all kinds of Paella variations, but this classic version is my favorite. Once you get the hang of the technique, you can always put your own spin on it!
I start with a big pan. I have a Paella pan that makes 4-6 servings, but if you don’t, then use a pan with a wide base and a couple of inches deep.
Be sure to prep all your ingredients beforehand so that you are ready to add them in. The process goes pretty quickly until it’s time to sit back and let the RiceSelect Arborio rice soak up all those great flavors to create an unforgettable dish every time.
Once everything is chopped and ready, make your broth. This is a similar method to risotto. Take your chicken broth, a bit of water, add your saffron threads, and then let it simmer over medium heat until you need it.
Brown your chorizo (if you can’t find Spanish chorizo, you can use a kielbasa style sausage), chicken, and then your shrimp and take them out of the pan.
Add your onion, garlic, and peppers to sauté. Once they are ready, add in your canned tomatoes and paprika.
When the Arborio rice is added, give it a few minutes to toast up and meld with all the other ingredients. Then add your broth. I like to strain the saffron threads out.
Mix together the rice, broth, parsley, and peas and let it cook for about 5 minutes. Give it another good stir and then add in the chicken and chorizo. Let it cook for 15 minutes.
Nestle the shrimp on top and then cover it with foil and let the rice cook for another 10 minutes. Some recipes call for this and some don’t, but I have found it really helps to make sure that the rice on the side of the pan cooks evenly.
When you remove it from the heat, add a couple of squeezes of lemon over the top. Let it cool a minute and then serve directly from the pan. You will find that in some parts the rice is a bit toasty on the bottom. That is ok. That is the best part! This is not the kind of rice dish you fluff.
This is hands down one of our favorite weeknight meals. It is great to feed a crowd, looks fancy, but really it is ready in no time. As is, this dish is naturally gluten free, but it is also dairy free as well. That’s a double win!
Don’t forget to add the Walmart Ibotta coupon to your app and head over to buy the RiceSelect Arborio rice. It has so many uses and is a great base for self-expression which leads to memorable meals. I’m sure it will become a family favorite!
Gluten Free Paella Mixta
- 2 cups chicken broth gluten free
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 pound boneless chicken thighs
- 4 ounces gluten free spanish chorizo can use sausage if chorizo is not available
- 8 shrimp large
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup canned tomatoes diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup peas
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- 2 lemons quartered
- Combine saffron, chicken broth, and water in a saucepan. Heat over medium while prepping other ingredients.
- Heat olive oil in paella pan or in a large pan with a flat bottom.
- Brown chicken (3 minutes each side) remove and set aside.
- Brown chorizo (2-3 minutes) remove and set aside.
- Sear shrimp (1-2 minutes each side) remove and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper to pan. Saute 3-5 minutes or until onions are clear.
- Add tomatoes, paprika, and salt. Cook, stiring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add Arborio Rice, toss and toast with other ingredients, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Strain saffron threads from broth. Add broth to pan with rice.
- Add in pea and cilantro. Stir well.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir one more time.
- Add in chicken thighs and chorizo. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp on top. Cover with foil and allow to cook 10 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Squeeze lemon juice over top. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.