Straight from Grandma’s recipe book, these easy to make scalloped potatoes are the perfect side dish for spring.
This post is sponsored by Schar. All opinions are my own. We truely love their products and by them on a regular basis.
Grandma’s always have the best recipes, no one makes comfort food like Grandma. Scalloped potatoes are one of my favorite comfort foods. I avoid them at gatherings because they are made with flour and that tasty cracker crumble is full of wheat, but no more.
These gluten free scalloped potatoes are so simple to make. Slice the potatoes with a food processor for the quickest way, or you can slice with a knife. The food processor is really fast and makes even slices. I always leave the skin on. For scalloped potatoes, I like the yellow potatoes. The skin is so thin you barely notice it, plus your retaining nutrients.
A simple roux is made using butter, flour
The Cracker Crust
Of course, what really makes these the best is the cracker crumb topping. Schar’s
Gluten Free Scalloped Potatoes with Ham
These gluten free scalloped potatoes with ham are a perfect use of that leftover Easter ham, of course they can be made without it, but it takes these from side dish to main dish. Speaking of side dishes- this Simple Spring Mix Salad from Foolproof Living will make an excellent side!
Do you have a favorite Schar product that has helped you recreate family favorites? What do you make with your left over ham? Let me know in the comments!
Gluten Free Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- 4 cups potatoes sliced
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons gluten free flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ham chopped, about 8 ounces
- 2/3 cup gluten free cracker crumbs 2 sleeves Schar Table Crackers
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning or dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9 x 9 baking dish.
- Melt 3 Tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk in gluten free flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Slowly add to cups of milk, whisking constantly.
- Stir, allowing to thicken, 3-5 minutes.
- Layer potatoes, ham and sauce in baking dish.
- Grind gluten free crackers in the food processor.
- Add two tablespoons melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning.
- Pulse to combine.
- Spread cracker crumbs over potatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 30 or until potatoes are tender.