Savory Arroz con Pollo. Peruvian Chicken with Cilantro Rice, made with gluten-free beer, this dish will delight your taste buds.
This post may contain affiliate links. Affiliate links help support My Gluten Free Miami, so thank you!
Hands down, Arroz con Pollo is one of my favorite things to eat.
When my husband and I first started dating I was working a crazy tutoring schedule and completing graduate school, both full time. As much as I loved to cook, I barely had time to eat. Being the awesome guy that he is, he would often cook for me and prepare a few extra meals to take along for lunches. Arroz con Pollo was one of the dishes he would make most often. It is delicious and it holds up well. It can even be frozen in individual portions. I could eat this every day (and often we do). It is just so easy to make a big pot, and the flavor is to die for.
Our families Arroz con Pollo flare.
Every Peruvian will have their own Arroz con Pollo recipe and add their own bit of flare to it. Our bit of flare is beer. What doesn’t taste better with beer? Prior to going gluten-free we would usually use AmberBock or sometimes a Corona in a pinch. If you are reading this and are not gluten-free, but just happen to think Arroz con Pollo is awesome, by all means use one of those, or whatever beer is your favorite. If you are gluten-free, we have made this with several different beers, including Daura, Redbridge, and New Planet Amber Ale (check out my beer post here!). They all work well, but I think our favorite for this recipe is the New Planet Amber Ale. It has a malty flavor that pairs well with the cilantro.
You cannot get a more traditional Peruvian dish than Arroz con Pollo. It is really simple to make and doesn’t require a lot of special ingredients, except Aji Amarillo, which if you have made Papas a la Huancaina you already have on hand! It is available at most grocery stores, but you can also order it on Amazon (or just click HERE to see what it looks like). It’s a one pot dish that is great by itself, but I love it with some Huancaina Sauce or Ceviche on top. I will often squeeze some lime on to it. I love the zing it gives it. Try it out and let me know what you think!
If your looking for more great international chicken dishes, head over to Food, Faith and Fitness and check out her Moroccan Chicken Skillet!
Arroz con Pollo, Peruvian Chicken with Cilantro Rice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 12 oz gluten-free beer
- 1 medium onion
- 2 large bunches of cilantro
- 8-10 chicken thighs or legs trimmed
- 2 tsp aji amarillo
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables traditionally peas and carrots
- 3 cups washed jasmine rice
- 3 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- lime wedges optional
- Heat oil in large pot.
- Lightly salt and pepper chicken and brown, once browned, remove and set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic and aji amarillo until fragrant.
- Blend cilantro and beer (a magic or nutribullet is great for this).
- Add cilantro/beer blend, chicken stock and salt to pot and stir.
- Return chicken and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and let simmer until chicken is cooked (about 30 minutes).
- Remove chicken, there should be approximately 6 cups of liquid, add more water if needed.
- Add washed rice and frozen mixed vegetables.
- Bring to boil, cover and reduce to low.
- Cook rice for 25 minutes or until done.
- Serve with chicken and lime wedges.