Top 8 Allergen Free individual apple galette desserts are any apple lovers dream come true, plus they’re easier than pie!
This post is a sponsored collaboration between Enjoy Life Foods and My Gluten Free Miami. All opinions are my own!
Back in 2013, when I was first diagnosed with Celiac Disease, it felt like my life was flipped upside down. I’m not ashamed to admit, there were tears during those first few grocery store trips after my diagnoses. It had came as such a shock because I had gone in for something else, and came out with Celiac Disease.
This was all in October, and just as I was starting to kinda get a handle on things, Thanksgiving came. We all know what Thanksgiving means- pie. Lot’s of pie. I cried. Again. I was so new to the gluten free world I didn’t realize that there were many amazing gluten free products that offered a chance to eat the things I loved again- and make even healthier versions of them! This apple galette is in honor of those tears I cried that first Thanksgiving when I missed out on pie- and honestly, now, even though I’m completely gluten free, I don’t feel like I miss out on anything. This Apple Galette is perfect for July 4th! Served with some coconut milk ice cream, it’s heaven!
Apple Galette Inspiration
When I started thinking about what Food Freedom means to me, I realized it meant pie. That first pieless Thanksgiving was really rough! The first time I heard about an Apple Galette was in my friend Chrystal Carver of Gluten Free Palate’s Cookbook- Sweet and Simple Gluten-Free Baking. I made it when I reviewed her book last Christmas and it was delicious.
I loved the apple galette and I love tarts, so I decided to merge some of my favorite things into a Top 8 Allergen Free dessert that pretty much anyone could enjoy, and Enjoy Life Foods All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Mix was perfect for it! On top of being gluten free, it also has added protein and probiotics!
Enjoy Life Foods offers so many great mixes and products for those with Celiac Disease and other food allergies. They sent me this great baking kit with all kinds of mixes! Stay tuned on Instagram to see them all! Enjoy Life’s products give those with food restrictions the freedom to enjoy so many amazing foods- brownies, muffins, cookies, and more!
Apple Galette Notes
I learned ALOT of things when making this Apple Galette. I am full of a billion tips, but I am going to try to keep it concise. As long as you follow the recipe, it will turn out fantastic!
- Don’t refrigerate it! I know- it goes against all pie crust rules, but the main ingredient in the flour is rice and it seemed to absorb the liquid and make it very crumbly. It works much better if you press it out right away. Bonus- makes this dessert really fast to make!
- Use cold ingredients. Even though the crust isn’t refrigerated, the cold ingredients make the crust flaky.
- Apple Juice is the perfect liquid. It makes the crust just a bit sweet and mellows out the strong flavor of some gluten free flour.
- Skip the rolling pin. I tried it both ways and it is just easier to press out.
- I used Earth Balance dairy free/soy free buttery sticks and they worked perfectly!
- The glaze really makes this dessert. It get’s bubbly and gooey and just sinks perfectly into the crust. It also is perfect to use on the outside of the crust.
- I like to add the glaze on top, rather than tossing the apples in it because it allows you to control the amount and gives you a chance to make the apples pretty!
I hope you enjoy this Apple Galette as much as my family does! Be sure to check out Enjoy Life Foods for gluten free and allergy friendly treats. For another great Top 8 Allergen Free recipes check out these Strawberry Breakfast Tarts and Pizza Crust Cinnamon Rolls! This is just a sampling of some of the great items you can get from Enjoy Life Foods!
Are there any foods you miss since going gluten free that you haven’t been able to recreate? Leave a comment and let me know!
Easier than Pie, Apple Galette- Top 8 Allergen Free
- 1 Cup Gluten Free Flour
- 4 Tablespoons Dairy Free Butter Sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt divided
- 4-5 Tablespoons Apple Juice
- 2 Apples Cored and Sliced (squeeze lemon juice over to prevent browning)
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Gluten Free Flour
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 cup gluten free flour.
- Add buttery sticks and squish together with fingers.
- Stir in apple juice until a dough begins to form.
- Using hands, form a ball of dough and divide into two pieces.
- Press each piece out in circle and layer apples.
- Fold edges over, squishing together any parts that crack.
- Make glaze by combing brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon gluten free flour, lemon zest, water and cinnamon.
- Spoon over apples.
- Brush a bit of glaze over the crust.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.