BBQ Pork Tacos with Hawaiian Coleslaw is the perfect way to change up taco night! Tender pork in bbq sauce and a sweet and tangy coleslaw is a winner!
This post is part of a collaboration between My Gluten Free Miami and David’s Unforgettables. All opinions are my own.
BBQ Pork Tacos with Hawaiian Coleslaw
Try saying that 3 times fast. It’s quite a mouthful to say but these tacos are divine. Pork shoulder, slow cooked in the oven until it falls apart and then cooked down with David’s Unforgettables BBQ sauce. Add the pork to a gluten free tortilla and top it with homemade Hawaiian coleslaw. One of the best tacos you have ever eaten.
So, so good.
BBQ Pork the Easy Way
Most people think you need a crockpot to make BBQ pork. Not so. I know this because I do not own a crockpot. My husband has a fear that it will somehow catch the house on fire. I had an instant pot for awhile, till he accidently through the lid away (long story), needless to say we only use our oven and stove to cook.
I love this pork, because it you rub it down and then cook it in the oven at low heat for a long time. There is very little active time, so it’s perfect to make on a Sunday afternoon, or on a day when your just lying around the house. After it’s cooked for a along time, it basically just falls apart.
I love David’s Unforgettables sauces. The flavor is to die for (remember the One Pan Honey Mustard Chicken?). With a balsamic base, the BBQ sauce is pure perfection. On top of being gluten free, it’s also Vegan, Kosher, and non-gmo. It’s even made in a fully solar-powered facility (that is also completely gluten free!)
The BBQ sauce come in mild and spicy. I actually split my pork and did some mile for my toddler and some spicy for my husband. The spicy isn’t super spicy, it has just a bit of heat.
From now until the end of February, you can get 20% off when you order David’s Unforgettables online with the code: MGFMBBQTACOS.
The recipe is simple, but I always like to include a few tips and tricks to help you out!
It is an inexpensive cut of meat, the one I bought had a bone and a piece of fat/skin on it. Leave the bone, but remove the skin. It peels off, similar to the membrane on ribs. If your shoulder is small, it could take less time to cook, but the one I bought was about 4 and 1/2 pounds and it took 4 1/2 hours.
I like to do my rub the night before and let it sit. If you don’t have time to let it sit overnight, it’s ok. It will still be delicious. Make these BBQ Pork Tacos anyways.
Cooking the Pork
Many people cook things like pork in a Dutch Oven. I do not have one, so I used a baking dish and covered the pork with foil. Worked like a charm!
Gluten Free Tortillas
I like to make my own gluten free flour tortillas (the recipe is HERE), but corn tortillas will be great as well!
I used David’s Unforgettables Balsamic BBQ Sauce in this. It can be found on their site or with their store finder. There is also a coupon for 20% off online till the end of the month: mgfmBBQtacos.
To make it “Hawaiian” I use rice vinegar and pineapple. It really pairs well with the BBQ, so I highly encourage you to make it to go on top!
That’s all for my recipe notes. If you have any questions, let me know in the comments. These BBQ Pork Tacos with Hawaiian Coleslaw are so good. You are going to love the change from your typical tacos!
Happy Gluten Free Eating!
BBQ Pork Tacos with Hawaiian Coleslaw
- 4-5 pound pork shoulder skin removed and trimmed
- Gluten Free tortillas
- 6 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Chipotle Powder
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 4-5 cups shredded pork
- 1 bottle BBQ Sauce I use David's Unforgettables
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups shredded coleslaw mix cabbage and carrots
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped pineapple
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients for pork rub.
- Rub all over pork.
- Place pork in the fridge overnight or for at least two hours.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Place pork in 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Pour in 1 cup of water.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Place in oven for 2 hours.
- Check pork. It should be easy to pull apart with a fork. If it is not, place back in oven and continue baking, checking every 30 minutes. Depending on the size of your pork shoulder, it can take up to 4 and 1/2 hours to cook. If you are checking temperature, you are looking for 185-195.
- Remove pork from oven and let cool until it is able to be touched.
- Shred pork with fingers or forks, removing any large pieces of fat and any bones. You should have about 4-5 cups of shredded pork.
- Place in stock pot on stove.
- Cover with BBQ sauce.
- Add 1/2 cup water to BBQ sauce bottle, shake it up and add to the pot. Stir pork and sauce together.
- Heat over medium low for 1/2 an hour. Stirring frequently.
- Make coleslaw by mixing together all ingredients.
- Remove pork from stove.
- Assemble tacos by placing BBQ Pork and coleslaw on gluten free tortillas.